Saturday, November 29, 2014

DONATOS - aka genius ads


These are some ads from Donatos Pizza, a company stationed out of Ohio. Sadly, they only have about 200 locations and not any in Sacramento. Nonetheless, these ads are super awesome. 




First of all, I just want to congratulate the people at Donatos, because this is the greatest pizza ad that I have seen. I mean its people eating pizza off a billboard. At first glance I loved it, then I loved it even more when I realized that these are two separate ads, and the person from the Chaz and David Stone ads are eating the Donatos pizza. I hadn't heard of Donatos before, but after this ad I want their pizza really badly. 

This ad does all of the things that make the customer want to buy their pizza. First, it uses the word "new" which is a weasel word, when used here. When we hear new we think that it's some great new thing, like a pizza vending machine, but in this case hand tossed pizza has been around for many years and it's definitely not new. Second, the connotation of Donatos, makes me think Italian, and when anybody hears Italian pizza, they know it has to be good pizza, BECAUSE IT'S ITALIAN. Thirdly, the phrase hand tossed pizza has become much more powerful then it actually is. When people hear hand tossed they think the pizza is way better, but I mean what's so special about it being hand tossed, does it make it that much better, I don't think so, but maybe that's just me.

I don't really care about these things because of how awesome these things are, I want Donatos as soon as possible. I'm going to have to drive to LA just to get some. 

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree that Donotos uses genius advertising to pull customers in, and that the weasel words especially work with the average person. I also want to try this pizza, and it's very unfortunate it's not in sactown.

    ReplyDelete