Wednesday, November 19, 2014

MORE FUTURE… wait this is pointless



In this commercial Domino's releases their knew voice ordering technology with the app that is downloadable on iPhone and Android. To be honest I think that this is pointless. I mean Siri can do the exact same thing, so anyone with an iPhone 4s and up can do this, and have been able to for years now. Also, why is it a necessity that I need to do this, I can call a pizza place and talk to a real person just as easily. I downloaded this app just to see how it worked and it didn't change my perspective on it anymore. I tried to use the voice ordering and it got what I wanted wrong three times in a row.


Although I don't like the product, I think the ad is very clever and funny. It tells us exactly what the product is and in a funny way. Because I mean someone getting beat up over a game of pool is just hilarious (portraying sarcasm is hard when not in person, so this is here to help and say that was supposed to be sarcastic). Even though that laughing at the surfer dude for getting beat up is cruel, its pretty true that we do it. The first time I saw this commercial I was so confused because it has us in the dark the whole time until the end where it explains the concept of voice ordering. At first I thought this was a Samsung commercial making fun of iPhones and how their voice recognition is really bad, but when I saw what it was really about it made a lot more sense.

This ad appeals to the consumers needs in a couple of ways. First, the guy in the ad is an average guy and he does many different things in the ad. For example he surfs, camps, plays pool, and tries to cook. So anyone who does any of those things can identify themselves as him, and think, oh I should get that too. They use repetition in the ad too. They have this guy talking to his phone all the time, which is something that lots of people do nowadays. By showing this to us over and over again it makes us, again, identify ourselves as this guy and think that we need voice ordering. Also, they use word play to make things sound cool. For example they use the phrase 'voice ordering' because that just sounds so awesome. When I hear that it just makes me think of effortless and fun things happening, maybe that is just me though. Also, they named the guy you talk to Dom, which is like Domino's. It took me a while to realize that, but once I did I thought it was clever and cool.

Like I said before I don't like the concept to much, but I like the ad they made a lot. Maybe this is because their target audience was middle aged single men who have no ability to cook, but nonetheless the ad was funny and made me laugh a little.



3 comments:

  1. Omg Henry, I read your blog before I watched the video and I laughed the whole time. But you're totally right, what is the point of this when I can call in and order a pizza without talking to a machine. Seriously it really is showing how anti-social middle age single men are. Totally kidding. But I agree, I did like the effects in the commercial, like him surfing and camping. I thought it was great how they used just a regular guy and not some famous person to show off the new app.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is interesting because yet again the pizza companies want to take away the human interaction, like the vending machine. With this one you no longer need to talk to the delivery guy, which i personally would love because it is so hard to tell them what you want. A typical conversation with them goes like this:
    Will: Hey can I have one large pepperoni bacon pizza
    DG (Delivery Guy): 3 personall pizzas no sauce no cheese just bread, sounds good, what is your name and address?
    Will: No wait I said large pepperoni bacon pizza
    DG: Oh 1 extra large Hawaiian pizza. Cash or credit.
    Will: Wait what, no large pepperoni bacon pizza.
    DG: Ok, 2 large 3 topping pizzas, bacon bell peppers and sausage.
    Will: *hang up the phone*
    So yeah basically its really annoying to talk to them because they never hear me right but if its just like Siri then he will probably get my order wrong. Maybe its just me but yeah. Goood article Henry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen this commercial before and I found it really stupid. It is creative but it is kind of annoying the app keeps talking about pizza, the first time I saw it, it was funny but the more a saw it the more annoyed I was and it defiantly did not make me want to have a pizza.
    Plus you can call them to order a pizza or go on a website to get it so the app itself is kind of pointless.

    ReplyDelete